The Applesauce Galette is the comfy-jeans and T-shirt of the pie and tart world. It’s all the flavor of a pie’s great crust and fruit filling, but is rustic and stylishly unkept in its presentation.
I went the extra mile to fan out the sliced apples, but you can just pile them on if you want to take your applesauce galette to even greater shabby-chic heights.
I started by making a very simple applesauce, which is nothing more than apples, a few spices and a spoon full of honey. I spread a layer of the applesauce on a pie dough, covered it in sliced apple, folded up the crust and finished it with lemon sugar. Nothing could be easier and it is one of my all time favorite desserts. Add vanilla ice cream and really, in my mind, it is perfection.
In other big news … you can now find all of the equipment I use in my posts on my ZoeBakes Amazon Store.
- 12 apples see notes
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 cardamom pods 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 3 star anise
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice if your apples are on the sweeter side, I recommend adding lemon juice for balance of flavor
- 4 apples
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- egg wash whisked with 1 tsp water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- Core and slice the apples (either skin on or off). In a large lidded pot, heat the sliced apples with the spices and honey over low heat. Continue to cook, with a lid on until the apples are soft, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes. If the sauce is too runny at the end, cook for several minute with the lid off to cook off some of the juices. Stirring the applesauce is just enough agitation to break up the fruit, if you want a chunky sauce. If you want a perfectly smooth sauce (or you cooked with the skins), then you'll want to puree the applesauce in a food processor or with a hand blender.
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Roll out the pie dough. Spread about 2 cups of the applesauce over the dough. Pile or fan the apple slices over the applesauce. Fold up the edges of the dough over the filling. Freeze the galette for about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, rub the lemon and sugar together. Once the dough is thoroughly chilled, brush with egg wash and sprinkle the whole galette, fruit and all with the lemon sugar.
- Bake at 425°F for 30 minutes then reduce the heat to 375°F and continue baking for about 15-20 more minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the apples are tender.