These are the sour cherry streusel bars I made on the Nordic Treats episode of Zoë Bakes on Magnolia Network! In this episode I pay tribute to my Nordic heritage by preparing Swedish cream and krumkake, a pressed cookie and visiting a ladies’ church group for a lesson in making the traditional Norwegian flatbread, lefse. I make these bars because you can’t go to a gathering in Minnesota without bringing something to share!
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter soft
- 1 cup (130g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (58g) confectioners’ sugar
- pinch of salt
Gooey Cherry Layer
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup (100g) rolled oats
- 2/3 cup (86g) all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F, with the rack in the middle. Grease a 9 by 9-inch square pan and line it with greased parchment.
- In a medium bowl, mix the butter, flour, confectioners’ sugar and salt, until it comes together in a uniform dough. Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Press it down with your hands or the bottom of a glass to pack it tightly into the pan. Place in the oven to par bake for 15 minutes while you make the filling.
- Next, make the gooey filling. In the same bowl, using a stiff rubber spatula, mix together the cream cheese, butter, sugar, honey, egg, vanilla and salt. Spread the mixture over the crust. Scatter the cherries evenly over the top of the filling.
- Using the same bowl, mix together the butter, brown sugar, salt, oats and flour with your fingers, so the mixture forms small clumps. Scatter evenly over the cherries.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is caramel-brown and the fruit is bubbling. Cool completely before removing from pan and cutting. It’s easier to cut when chilled.