This is the Swedish cream recipe I made in the Nordic Treats episode of Zoë Bakes on Magnolia Network where I pay tribute to my Nordic heritage by preparing Swedish cream and krumkake, a pressed cookie and visiting a ladies’ church group for a lesson in making the traditional Norwegian flatbread, lefse. I also prepare sour cherry streusel bars because you can’t attend a gathering in Minnesota without bringing something to share!
- 2 1/2 tsp (1 envelope) unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean scraped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cups sour cream
- Lingonberry jam for serving
- Fresh raspberries for serving
- Bloom the gelatin in cold milk.
- In a saucepan, bring the heavy whipping cream, sugar, vanilla seeds and lemon zest to a simmer. Whisk in the bloomed gelatin until smooth. Remove from heat and add the sour cream.
- Pour into individual molds and allow to set in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, it may take longer if you’re using bigger molds.
- To invert them, dip the base of the molds in hot water to help release it onto a serving plate. Serve with a dollop of lingonberry jam and fresh raspberries.