This is a combination of two of my favorites, star bread and an everything bagel with cream cheese. One of the great things about a star bread is that you can play with the flavor by baking them with sweet or savory fillings. I was craving an everything bagel, which is topped with a combination of poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onions, garlic, and salt. It is everything I love on a bagel, hence the name! I had a bucket of challah dough in the fridge, a block of cream cheese, and the bagel topping mix. Why not layer them all together and create a fun version of the classic breakfast? Not only is it fun to make (get the kids involved in the shaping) and beautiful, but it’s DELICIOUS.
- Make challah dough as directed.
- Dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and cut off three 6-ounce pieces (about the size of a small orange). Dust with more flour and quickly shape them into balls by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom, rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go. Cover and allow the dough to rest for about 15 minutes.
- Roll out the dough balls into rounds about 8-inch wide. As you roll out the dough, add flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Place one of the dough rounds on a piece of parchment paper. Top with 1/2 the soft cream cheese. Repeat with next layer of dough and the remaining cream cheese. Top with the final layer of dough.
- Place a 2½-inch biscuit cutter or anything that size and round in the center of the dough. Use a pizza cutter or bench scraper to cut 16 equal spokes from the edge of the biscuit cutter to the outer edge of the dough.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle on the everything bagel topping.
- Twist two of the sections away from each other with two rotations, then pinch the two sections together at the end to form a point. Continue with the rest of the sections until you have 8 point.
- Loosely cover the star and rest for about 90 minutes (60 minutes if using fresh dough that has not been refrigerated).
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush the exposed dough with egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and set. Allow to cool on a rack.