These are the strawberry hand pies I made on the Hand Pies episode of Zoë Bakes on Magnolia Network! When the Minnesota weather turns cold, I stock my freezer with easy, bake-and-take hand pies. In this episode I make both sweet strawberry and savory curry chicken pies, and then visit a local Mexican café called Vivir to prepare empanadas.
Want a savory version? Try these Curry Chicken Hand Pies.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my chicken curry hand pies recipe as well!
- 2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and well chilled
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 lb strawberries, about 3 cups sliced can be frozen, left whole if frozen
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 tbsp 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Egg wash (whole egg mixed with 1 teaspoon water)
- Sugar for sprinkling
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 strawberry sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Blend the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor.
- Add the butter and blend until the flour/butter mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the sour cream and pulse until the dough starts to form a ball in the machine. Turn out onto a slightly floured surface and press into a rectangle. Divide the dough into two pieces, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Cook the strawberries, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla over gentle heat (you can use a fork to break up the fruit if using fresh strawberries) until they start to break down slightly. Cook until the strawberries are tender and have released their juices.
- Whisk together the sugar and cornstarch, then add to the strawberries. Cook over medium-low heat until the mixture starts to thicken and turn translucent. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
To Bake the Hand Pies
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- When you are ready to prepare the hand pies, roll one of the chilled doughs out on a floured surface. As you are rolling, you can straighten out the edges with your hands to create a 10×15-inch rectangle. Using a pastry wheel, cut the dough into 12 equal squares, by cutting 4 strips along the length and 3 strips along the short side.
- Put about 2 tablespoons filling in the center of half the squares. Lightly brush the edges of the filled squares with egg wash. Cover with remaining squares. Press the dough together then use a fork to gently adhere them together around the edges. Cut a cross on the top. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. If baking both trays at once, rotate top to bottom after 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mash the strawberry with the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice and whisk until a smooth icing is formed. Allow the hand pies to cool before drizzling on the strawberry icing.