Baking and cooking mishaps are one of the best ways to get creative in the kitchen. Case in point: when you overwhip cream, don’t despair—make butter! Sometimes a failure is actually just a happy accident and this accident resulted in gorgeous sweet butter that I covered in edible flowers.
While making Chantilly cream for my Victoria sponge cake in season 3, episode 1 of Zoë Bakes, I accidentally overwhipped it and once you do that, there’s no way to go back. So I decided to add some homemade sweet butter to my patio party spread! Adding edible flowers (which I always keep on hand this time of year) and a pinch of sea salt made this the perfect pairing with slices of fresh baguette and Serious Jam when my neighbors came over. I hope you’ll give this recipe a try!
Be sure to check out the episode to see me visit my friend Heidi of Serious Jam! Together we make the most incredible strawberry jam and she shows me all her tips and tricks for making it.
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- edible flowers optional
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add your heavy whipping cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Whip on medium speed until it starts to become grainy.
- Once it reaches that point, cover the bowl loosely with some plastic wrap to ensure you don't send bits of butter flying all around the kitchen as you turn up the speed to high. Whip on high until it all comes together on the whisk and starts to release all the water into the bottom of the bowl.
- Discard the liquid at the bottom of the bowl and place the butter on top of some plastic wrap. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and the petals of edible flowers, if using, and use the plastic wrap to fold it or roll it up into a log. Refrigerate.
- I served this sweet butter with slices of baguette and jam. Use it on whatever your heart desires!