These are the savory curry chicken hand pies I made on the Hand Pies episode of Zoë Bakes on Magnolia Network! When the Minnesota weather turns cold, I stock my freezer with easy, bake-and-take hand pies. In this episode I make both sweet strawberry and savory curry chicken pies, and then visit local Mexican café, Vivir, to prepare empanadas.
Want a sweet version? Try these Strawberry Hand Pies.
Be sure to check out my strawberry hand pies recipe next!
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons (57g) shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups (390g) all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup curry paste (mild or hot to suit your taste)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- In a large skillet heat the water, butter, shortening, salt, cayenne and turmeric, until it comes to a boil. Add all the flour and stir until it comes together into a thick paste.
- Put mixture into a bowl and beat in the egg with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- You can use the dough right away, or divide dough into two pieces and wrap in plastic, and allow to come to room temperature. You can chill the dough as well to use later.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, sauté the onions and garlic until soft. Season with salt. Add the curry paste, chicken, and water. Simmer until the chicken is tender and the sauce thickens. Fold in the peas and cook for another minute or so. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature before filling the hand pies.
Form the Hand Pies
- Pull off a golf ball sized piece (50g) of dough and roll it out to 6-inch circle (I used a silpat with flour, so it doesn’t stain the counter). Fill with about 2 tablespoons filling. Brush edge with egg wash, fold dough in half and crimp edges. These can be made ahead and refrigerated or frozen.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Dock the top of the hand pies, then brush with an egg wash. Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.