I’m not exaggerating when I say that this is the most requested recipe from my show, Zoë Bakes on Magnolia Network. It’s a savory recipe and it’s not mine. Go figure!
In all honesty, I’m thrilled to share this chicken noodle soup recipe with you. This recipe was ubiquitous in my family. I’m pretty sure every generation in my family makes it. Especially at my grandma Berkowitz’s house, I don’t remember a meal that didn’t also include chicken soup. Sometimes it was with matzah balls, sometimes with egg noodles, but it was always there. Now you can enjoy it too.
For those of you who haven’t yet seen the episode, my mom makes this chicken noodle soup recipe on season 2, episode 8 of Zoë Bakes on Magnolia Network. I received so much positive feedback about this episode and it’s so lovely to hear how many of you adore my mom!
Other recipes we made in this episode are rugelach, sufganiyot and challah, thanks to the wonderful ladies behind Morgan’s Broth and Buns. If you live in the Twin Cities, you absolutely must check out their amazing products.
- 1 whole organic chicken 3-4 lbs
- 2 large yellow onions
- 1 lb carrots peeled and cut into thirds
- 4-5 celery stalks large cuts
- 3 parsnips large cuts
- 1 head garlic
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 1 package thin egg noodles
- 2-2.5 tbsp salt
- fresh black pepper to taste I use lots
- Place Chicken in large soup pot. Place all vegetables around chicken. Add salt and pepper as well as 11 cups of water. Submerge the entire bunch of dill in the water.
- Bring to boil. Skim foam from surface if necessary. Turn heat down to medium simmer and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken and cut into pieces or shred. Remove all vegetables except for carrots. Return chicken to pot and serve soup with thin egg noodles.