Here is my favorite apple cake adapted from a recipe my friend Laura gave me, she got it from a friend who in turn got it from a friend. That is how the best recipes are, shared and made personal with little changes. Enjoy this cake and please let me know if you have made some fabulous change I should know about!
|1 1/2||cups||vegetable oil|
|1 1/2||cups (320g)||sugar|
|1/2||cup (120g)||light brown sugar|
|1||cup||whole wheat pastry flour|
|1/2||teaspoon||nutmeg — freshly ground|
|4||cups||apples, peeled — chunks|
|1||cup||nuts — optional|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Combine oil, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and calvados, blend well.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Combine dry ingredients. Add to wet.
- Add apples and nuts, mix well.
- Pour into prepared tube pan. Bake for 1 1/4 hours.
- Let rest for 20 minutes, remove from pan.
- Prepare caramel glaze: combine all ingredients and bring to boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour glaze over cake while still warm